Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Why Joan Bull and why a Pom Thesaurus?

I'm sure you've all heard of John Bull, the quintessential Englishman. Well Joan Bull was the headmaster's secretary/school nurse at my primary school in England. She was renowned for liberally applying iodine to all our cuts and bruises (this was, after all, the 1960s), the result of which is that Downend Primary School children were easily identifiable in the community by their permanently mottled purple faces and limbs. She too was quintessentially English. When I first arrived in New Zealand some years ago, much of the language was a complete mystery to me, so the following blog hopes to bring all sorts of contributions from migrants like myself, the sort of things that Roget would have thought of, if only he had come from Eketahuna.

3 Comments:

Blogger SoAndSo said...

Shouldn't that be Joan Cow?

July 24, 2008 at 4:25 AM  
Blogger QuizzyLizzy said...

I had to look Eketahuna up, I had never heard of it. Surrounded by beauty.

July 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger Miss Frazzled said...

Hello Joan Bull,
Thornton-le-Dale is in North Yorkshire, and I can personally recommend it as a beautiful village to visit. In fact, I'd say it was a quintessential English village- the perfect place for the quintessential Pom to visit! :) If you do claim the thatched cottage as your own please remember who it was that first introduced you to it in the first place! ;)

August 6, 2008 at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home