Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cautionary Thoughts from a Technopom

I'm inspired to write about technology as have just visited the Leonardo exhibition in Perth, having missed it in Auckland. Truly a man ahead of his time, but it seems to me that the last few years, no more than fifteen really, have spawned a whole generation of Leonardo mini-mes. It truly amazes me what we now take for granted - a day without touching a keyboard is enough to bring on the shakes, a robust discussion at work about an obscure person or event can be clarified with a quick visit to wikipedia, and the mobile phone as a tracking tool for teenagers has earned the gratitude of parents everywhere. To say nothing of Blackberries, Bluetooth, and Bebo. It truly is a wonderful world, although I do worry about the ergonomic aspects of technology when I see kids hunched over laptops while sitting on beanbags, iPods in ears, and extended thumbs twitching constantly while texting. Could it be that in twenty years time chips will truly be bad for your health?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Lemon Holic said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 28, 2008 at 2:39 AM  
Blogger Lemon Holic said...

wow you are already up to this exercise? way to go!
The Leonardo exhibition must have been GREAT!

Technology...I guess we can no longer live in a world without technology.
This person I know, saw a girl around the age of 4-5 texting at the bus stop! He was shocked to see a girl so young having a cell phone.

Oh by the way, guess who I am :)
If you are the "Joan" Bull I know, then ((Hint)): You know me. You see me every week. You see me only during the weekend..

(sorry I deleted my previous comment, as I was not sure if you are the person I think you are haha..but I think I've got the right person!)

Ps: Hope you don't catch a cold like I did. This ones nasty :(

July 28, 2008 at 2:44 AM  
Blogger NSL Training Support Team said...

Viewing Leonardo's machines would have really illustrated the huge advances in technology -lucky you! As you say, technology seems to have mushroomed in the last few decades.
(lol - mushrooms go well with chips!)

July 29, 2008 at 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home